SURVIVING SUPER TYPHOON YOLANDA’S FEROCITY



It was the most terrible experience I’ve ever had in my twenty seven years of existence in the world travelling from my home Balut Island going to General Santos City. I thought I could not see the wonderful  world that time. The dreadful feeling while on the vessel that time made me realized how difficult it is to travel. It was like you are facing death every moment you step on the vessel. You will always have the fear what life awaits as you cross the vast ocean of Balut Island and  Sarangani. The ferocious growl of the wind, the sharp and edgy drops of the rain coordinated with giant waves made my trip fearful. 
                        

November 7, 2013

6:45 AM

I woke up late in the morning feeling in pain of throat and some parts of my body due to stress of visiting a house of one of the students at night of November 6,  as part of our responsibility as teacher that you really have to visit to the homes of the students. I could hear my mother mentioned my name trying to invite me for a coffee but I refused because it may cause more pain on my throat. My brother Jessie sat in the wood made seat holding the radio listening the primetime news of RMN, he stood up and said that there was a super typhoon, though I already knew nonetheless the report seemed interesting because it was said that “Yolanda” was considered the strongest typhoon in the Philippines in the history of humanity this year. With that news I’ve heard I had already a small fear in my mind. Though I’ve been used to travel going to General Santos City with a wavy situation yet such news was quite unusual for me.

9:38 AM

I went to the school, checking the situation of the students and my teachers. My Annalleen Dalumpines sent SMS messages asking me if I’m Ok because it was unusual for me going to school late. I just replied to her and said that I’m coming late, for we don’t have stock water in the vat. Mama said I will just use the remaining one container for my bathing.

10:13 AM

I arrived at the school, Maam Dalumpines said “Hi” to me and greeted me good morning I replied normally but my mind had thought about my trip at night. She invited me to joined at the Baptist Church thanks giving ceremony and all of the teachers. After the service we were invited to have a lunch with the church leaders and pastors. During the meal time, I don’t know but it sounded like I had a premonitions of what would happen in  the evening, a short feeling of fear. My heart beats faster which I don’t know what it means.

12: 47PM

We were  walking going home , Maam Dalumpines invited me to the our president’s house to have some cold water to drink. Then we had shop talk with the president, and then it turned into a more serious topics about the school’s development and the upcoming activities. Meanwhile I glanced at my watch It was already 1:45 P.M. I had to go home for preparing my luggage and pack some of my personal things for a travel. No schedule of trip in our barangay so I have to travel with a pumpboat with my brother in Mabila port. There,  schedules of ferries are daily. 
  A newly built big Port of Mabila. M/L Fredirick picture is not here. 
 2: 30 PM
I arrived home, but I still have to go to school for further instructions of the students especially the fourth year students, for they will have an important activity to be done this December so I need to remind them, before I go and so with the rest of the teachers.  Few minutes of instruction  I went back home and finally prepared for my things. It was around 3:25 in the afternoon when everything went Ok. Mama went to VD store for the gasoline.




3:29 PM

My brother Jessie fixed  the pumpboat and invited others to help us carry the boat into the shore. Boboy my neighbor and his cousin helped us. Then few minutes after, My brother and I were at the boat already, however the engine didn’t start. I didn’t know if that was an omen , a sign for me not to continue my trip for there is a  danger heeds on.  We were stuck for few minutes. I could feel the cold wind and a random smash of  the waves. We went back  to the shore and  my brother fixed the engine. There was something on the engine. My brother shouted Yengyeng his friend to get the Y-wrench for he has something to fix in the engine. Few minutes  later, the engine was OK. Then it started and we were all set going to Mabila port. Unfortunately its already 4:58 in the afternoon when we had left home.

5: 17 PM

My brother and I  had reached the Mabila Port, I instructed him to wait for me a few minutes for I had to get a passenger’s ticket. There was only one vessel scheduled for a trip the steel vessel M/L Fredirick. I stable and concrete steel made passenger vessel. I left my brother in the boat for a moment. I got a ticket I was a little bit shocked with the new rates it cost Php350.00 wow? What an expensive ride.  Then I went back to my brother and handed him something for him a small amount of penny just to make my brother smile. Then he started the engine and went back home. I left alone and carry my luggage and a printer of my laptop. I went to the passenger’s waiting shed and put my baggage there. In fairness to our Mabila port it was so clean and huge, unlike in lion’s beach port in General Santos . No maintenance, looks dirty and wood made and too risky.

6:13 PM

I went to the store owned by our mayor to buy some food. My mother didn’t pack food for my trip so I need to buy for my meal. When I look up the sky, I could see the dark clouds covering the mountain of the island. I found no food in the store so I went to another yet still there were no food sold in there so I decided to buy a Nissin Cup Noodles . While I was waiting for the hot water to be  filled in the cup, suddenly the rain and wind came in, too fast and to heavy. So I stayed in front of the small store, the woman invited me to get in yet I felt ashamed and rather stayed at outside. I could smell the delicious flavor of the noodles , the heavy rail still dropped in. Few minutes later the rain stopped. Then I brought with me my food at the shed. A man came and offered me his service to bring my luggage inside the vessel. I showed to him my  ticket where my  deck or an area where I belong to, at the 15-B at the upper level of the vessel. He brought my luggage and other things there then I handed him a penny as payment of the service he made. I noticed only few passengers were there. The rest are laborers carrying the containers and other loads. Maybe they were afraid of the typhoon but for me I had to go because I have my work. I finish eating my instant noodles inside the vessel. I went upstairs and change my pants, it was drenched when we were on our way going to the port.

8:20 PM


At this time I saw some members of the Philippine Coast guard roaming around and checking how many passengers. They took pictures and videos as SOP before checking out the vessel. Then few minutes later, I could hear  the engine started by the captain and the crews were so much busy on their tasks. Meanwhile around 9:PM as the vessel pointing its direction to General Santos City and as we cross the vast ocean of Sarangani Bay the giant waves started to smash as if thousands of boxers punching the vessel altogether, I stood up however I almost fell so I decided to sit instead and trying to observe the surroundings. Everyone is asleep or maybe they just pretended. As the vessel fought for giant waves, I could hear the sound of wind horribly; I thought it was just a sound effects of the film that I used to hear in the theater, however that moment was so real. Then the heavy rain came. I glanced at the right side trying to see if what’s going in there I could see the waves almost in our area at the second floor of the M/L Frederick. The waves continue to smash and banged the vessel. I sent message to my sister but she didn't replied, then to my co-teacher in LGA  she encouraged me not to get panic but I couldn't make myself stable as the feeling of fear and nervousness conquered me that time. If that vessel was made of wood maybe it was already crashed however its steel type vessel  that could survive strong waves so maybe that’s the reason why the Philippine Coastguard allowed us to go amid the coming of Super Typhoon Yolanda and Yolanda’s direction is in Northeast  Visayas. The battle of strong waves continue as we reach the border of Balut Island and Sarangani Bay or what they called the “channel” I already prepared my mind, in case the vessel sinks I know where to get the life jackets, then suddenly the engine stop, then a big wave crashed, everyone who were asleep stood up and obviously felt nervous. I saw two passengers bowed I knew they prayed. Then the vessel continued sailing, I heard a woman said if we could cross the border of Sarangani and Balut Island, things will be different , there would be no waves anymore, and she was right. The big waves are gone, however the rain still there. I thanked God that time, I know it was not yet my time. I know he has still a lot of plans for my life. I could consider that moment as  the most fearful trip I've ever had in my entire life. I know these kind of life would not change as long as we live in an Island yet , it is a memory that could never be forgotten.

Thanks God for keeping me safe.

Comments